“Giving” in business … a few years ago it was a dirty word or at best a “woowoo” kind of thing that either big companies or hippies would do. Today, more and more businesses are recognising that not only does is feel great making a difference in people’s lives, it also makes good financial sense.
As we enter 2012 we recognise that thriving in business isn’t about US vs THEM. Nor is it about chasing the buck at all cost. It’s about truly making a difference in the lives of the people we serve. And interestingly, the more we do that — the more love and compassion we share — the more it comes back to us in many wondrous and surprising forms, including financial gain.
This morning I received an email from an old friend and mentor, Paul Dunn who is the Chairman of Buy1GIVE1, an organisation that puts the business of giving on steroids. When I read his email and saw the level of impact they are having in the world, I was gob-smacked.
Buy1GIVE1 connects small business with worthy causes making it easy for its members to give in a tangible way — in a way where ALL the proceeds go to the intended recipients instead of getting eaten up in administration charges.
One of the really cool things that B1G1 does is it enables business owners to tailor the nature of their giving to their industry. For instance, a restaurant may donate a meal to a starving person in India whenever anyone dines in their restaurant. And the benefits of doing that have a ripple effect. Not only is that restaurant making a difference, but their customers also feel that eating at the restaurant means they’re helping make a difference to someone in need. And – of course, the recipient benefits greatly too.
Check out the email below to see the level of impact that this kind of giving is having in the world.
Because of our B1G1 Business Members and Partners, this is what we did together up to the end of 2011:
- 122,673 people received a nourishing meal
- 5,828,164 days of access to life-saving water was given to people around the world
- 191,436 days of accommodation was given to people affected by natural disasters or extreme poverty
- 16,655 children received an improved learning environment for a year
- 467,767 days of education support was given to children in need
- 11,396 children received computer education for a day
- 69,360 children in need received learning tools like text books and stationery
- 170,204 days of education and occupational training was given to disadvantaged people
- 3,967 children in need received a special gift
- 4,549 children received a special education program
- 7,839 days of support was given to social entrepreneurs
- 2,844 goats and other animals were given to families so that they can have income
- 550,121 days worth of support was given to farmers around the world
- 39,900 people received internet or phone connection for a day
- 344398 days of support was given to improve people’s health and well-being
- 182,843 square meters of rainforest was protected
- 14,936 trees got planted or adopted
- and more!
Amazing isn’t it? Being able to make a difference just by doing what we normally do in business is such a simple yet powerful idea. And it clearly makes a huge difference.
We can onlydo that thanks to people like you who play a part in and spread the word about B1G1.
We’re enormously privileged to be able to do what we do. And we’re truly grateful as we look forward to impacting at even higher levels in 2012 as word continues to spread.
Again, thank you.
With very best wishes for an amazing New Year ahead.
Chairman, Buy1GIVE1 (B1G1)
To read more about what B1G1 is doing in the world, check out their website at http://www.b1g1.com/.
Kristina Mills is a highly regarded direct response copywriter, marketing strategist, entrepreneur and success strategist having worked with and produced great results for some of Australia's most inspirational entrepreneurs, speakers, event companies, professional services firms, property companies, and internet entrepreneurs. She is the author of Invisible Genius Vol1 and 2, Freelance Copywriting Fast Track Course, Direct Mail Mastery, Web Copy Mastery, Invisible Genius Vol.1 and 2, Mortgage Broker Letters that Sell, Real Estate Letters that Sell, How to Create a Sales Explosion With Every Ad and Letter Your Write. To find out more about how Kristina can help you live your potential, arrange a free 15 minute phone chat.