The Advantage and Disadvantages of Working With This Brisbane Copywriter
So you’re in Brisbane and you’re keen to engage a copywriter to write some promotional marketing material for your company. Who do you choose? And do you choose a freelance copywriter from Brisbane or somewhere else?
In my 18 years experience as a Brisbane freelance copywriter I’ve found that business owners in Brisbane tend to prefer working with copywriters who are local. They like the face to face meetings and there seems to be some sort of parochial loyalty to working with locals. Working with a Brisbane copywriter also has other advantages:
- Cost: Their rates are often cheaper than copywriters from Sydney or Melbourne so there are cost savings involved.
- Experience: Because Brisbane is Australia’s 3rd largest city freelancers with solid experience working with large accounts, can be found in our city, unlike if you were looking for a copywriter in Gold Coast or Cairns.
- Understanding of the market: As you probably know, living in Brisbane is very different to living in Sydney. With that, there is a slight difference in culture, in language used, in lifestyle, and in the needs of consumers. Copywriters who live in Brisbane find it much easier to connect with the Brisbane culture and way of life which means it is easier for them to write to the needs of the market.
- Convenience: As mentioned earlier, Brisbane companies like the convenience of having a copywriter who is local so there can be face to face visits. I’ve found that they’re far more focused on this than Sydney or Melbourne companies are.
There are two potential disadvantages working with a Brisbane copywriter. They are:
- If you are a large corporation and looking for someone with extensive experience in your particular industry you’ll find it is more difficult locating a copywriter in Brissie who has that experience.
- When doing business in Australia there’s a rule of thumb that the hotter the climate, the more rubbery the deadlines are. In other words, Sydney companies and Sydney copywriters tend to value time more than Brisbane copywriters and Brisbane copywriters are much more punctual than Cairns copywriters.
Let’s then look at things from the copywriter’s point of view. If you are a Brisbane copywriter you’ll probably find that there is a downside to writing copy for Brisbane or South East Queensland companies. These downsides are:
- Because you are local clients often expect face-to-face meetings which are much more time consuming than working with a client over the phone. And this is time that often isn’t chargeable so at the end of the day that’s eating into your profits.
- More price sensitive: I’ve found that Sydney and Melbourne (and indeed US clients) are much less price sensitive than Brisbane clients.
- The way they do business: Generally, (and this IS a generalisation), in my experience, Brisbane business professionals are often slower to make a decision, they want to have much more control over the creative process, and change their mind more often than Sydney business professionals. This can end up being a headache for copywriters who work with them.
On the upside though, Brisbane small business owners tend to be less stressed, more easy going and laid back, and (on a whole) friendlier than Sydney or Melbourne small business owners.
As you may have noticed, these comments are fairly generalised. Obviously everyone is different however with 18 years of doing business in the copywriting and advertising industry, and having worked with large corporate write down to micro-businesses around the country, there are distinct differences in the business landscape in each city. These differences will play a role in whether it’s right or it isn’t for you to work with a Brisbane copywriter.
Kristina Mills is a highly regarded direct response copywriter, marketing strategist, entrepreneur and success strategist having worked with and produced great results for some of Australia's most inspirational entrepreneurs, speakers, event companies, professional services firms, property companies, and internet entrepreneurs. She is the author of Invisible Genius Vol1 and 2, Freelance Copywriting Fast Track Course, Direct Mail Mastery, Web Copy Mastery, Invisible Genius Vol.1 and 2, Mortgage Broker Letters that Sell, Real Estate Letters that Sell, How to Create a Sales Explosion With Every Ad and Letter Your Write. To find out more about how Kristina can help you live your potential, arrange a free 15 minute phone chat.