Sound familiar? If so, join the club. I’m naturally an ideas person who has a tendency to think faster at the speed of light always dreaming up new solutions to things.
While that’s an incredible asset in terms of entrepreneurialism, it comes with challenges especially if you’re on a quest for spiritual awakening.
It’s funny how we can learn something intellectually and understand it intellectually but it isn’t until we actually try it and experience the effects that it has in our lives on a first hand, that we take it seriously.
Years ago, when I first embarked on a spiritual path, a lot of people already on the path said to me, “Kris, you’re not grounded. You need to ground yourself.”
The way they told me to do that was to picture a grounding cord going from my base chakra down and penetrating the earth.
For me, being a person who still had one foot planted in a capitalistic, entrepreneurial world, I figured, that was all “woo woo” kind of stuff and I didn’t pay it a lot of attention.
And what did “grounding” mean anyway?
If you’re like I was back then, when you first heard the term perhaps you thought it was a cute thing to do but would have no real effect in real, everyday life. Thankfully, my views have changed dramatically since then.
Let’s first look at what grounding is and how it affects our lives.
I’d like you to think about electricity for a moment.
We all know that a ground wire is used in electrical wiring to prevent electrical currents going haywire and also to protect us against electric shock. If there is no ground wire that appliance will still operate. Yes? The trouble is, if there is a power surge, water or any other influence on the electrical system it can cause electric shock. In other words, the grounding wire is a protection from outside interference.
The human body works in the same way. When we are in our heads thinking and thinking about things, we have neurons firing all over the place. Our energy is scattered which makes us susceptible to stress, energy vampires and other toxic substances and influences that can affect our energy body.
Not being in a grounded state causes:
- Stress and tension
- Brain fry and scatteredness
- A sense of feeling lost and directionless
- Brain fog and a lack of clarity
- Being easily influenced – like at motivational seminars where we get on such an artificial high, followed by a crash when we get back home to real life.
- Reduced grip on reality which leads to poor decision making.
- All manner of health problems (which happened in my case until I learnt how to overcome it)
- Making decisions that are based on the desires of others
- Not knowing what’s true for you.
- Being influenced by other people’s negative energies or positive energies
- Off with the pixies in daydreaming land having no grip on reality (this is especially a challenge for people who go on a spiritual path or work in the psychic realm. They’re up in different dimensions and unless they ground themselves they can easily become scattered.)
On the other hand, being grounded offers so many benefits including:
- Feeling comfortable in your skin
- Increased self-confidence
- Clarity of thinking
- Better, more practical decision making
- Much better focus
- Ability to easily tap into your heart centre and operate in a heart space
- Significant speeding up of our ability to manifest
Like me, you want to live a life filled with love and magic. Where you have the power to manifest anything your heart desires. Where you live your truth – your destiny. A life where you can be truly happy.
The fact is, being “ungrounded” is a key impediment on that quest. It affects your ability to experience happiness and peace. It creates confusion, stress, fear. It also can adversely affect your health.
Back to the electricity example, for a moment. A grounding wire is also known as an “earth” and there’s a good reason for that.
Earth energy grounds everything. It creates a stable platform for everyone and everything to operate in the world.
It gives us a sense of ourselves. A knowingness of our own being.
That’s why when we’re out in nature we feel a sense of peace.
When we go into our heads either thinking or channelling (wihtou grounding ourselves first), we lose that sense of centredness … that sense of knowing.
So how do you ground yourself?
There are plenty of ways to do it. Naturally, meditation is a fantastic tool for doing that however if you’re at work perhaps that isn’t an option so here are some of the simpler methods.
- Eating warm food. Warm food nurtures our stomach which is the organ within our bodies that is most affected by the Earth element.
- Take your shoes off and walk in the grass and actively focus on the feeling of the grass or dirt on your feet.
- Go for a barefoot walk on the beach.
- Any form of exercise.
- Do some gardening.
- Quick grounding exercises: If you’re at work, simply sit on your chair and focus on your tailbone. Imagine a golden cord working it’s way from your tailbone through the floor, through the dirt and through the earth’s crust. Imagine that as that cord moves to the earth’s centre, all the energies that you have accumulated, thought processes, other people’s stuff are going down that grounding chord.
- Belly Breathing: When we’re scattered our breathing is shallow and in our chest. When we’re centred our breathing is slower and occurs deep in our bellies.
- Drinking water.
- Drinking less coffee. Coffee increase mental alertness and can create scatteredness along the way.
- Do daily chakra balancing.
If you are sceptical that “grounding” yourself will benefit you, avoid the mistakes I made and just try it anyway – even if you are too busy to consider it. A couple of minutes out of your day will dramatically increase your happiness levels, your productivity and decision making abilities. I guarantee it.
This simple exercise could be the one thing that completely transforms your life (especially if you are a naturally sensitive person).
Kristina Mills is a highly regarded direct response copywriter, marketing strategist, entrepreneur and success strategist having worked with and produced great results for some of Australia's most inspirational entrepreneurs, speakers, event companies, professional services firms, property companies, and internet entrepreneurs. She is the author of Invisible Genius Vol1 and 2, Freelance Copywriting Fast Track Course, Direct Mail Mastery, Web Copy Mastery, Invisible Genius Vol.1 and 2, Mortgage Broker Letters that Sell, Real Estate Letters that Sell, How to Create a Sales Explosion With Every Ad and Letter Your Write. To find out more about how Kristina can help you live your potential, arrange a free 15 minute phone chat.