One of the most common questions I get asked by my small business owner clients is how to streamline their sales processes so they can increase sales in a profitable way. Many realise that the internet is a key way to do that but they’re unsure of how to go about it. Here are some quick steps to consider to get you started:
- Identify your ideal customer profile. Get very clear on this. This will enable you to improve the targeting of lead generation ads and increase the effectiveness of your advertising.
- Get clear on what your lead generation and sales funnel is. Map out what the first step is, then the next, then the next AND what communication pieces the potential customer needs to receive to feel comfortable purchasing.
- Ensure you have the right online tools including the right third party email marketing software, website functionality, ecommerce. Aweber and Mailchimp are good beginner programs. For advanced and really cool functionality, I’d highly recommend OfficeAutopilot or Infusionsoft.
- Ensure you use an email program that enables you to segment the database so once potential customers purchase from you they are taken off the prospect list and put on a client list which is specific to the product they purchased. They then start to receive a series of emails which relate directly to the product they just purchased.
- Identify your ascension model. In other words, what is the first thing a potential customer will buy from you, then the next, then the next, starting with the most inexpensive (usually the optin offer first)
- Know what you want to achieve from the activity. This is crucial. If you want highly qualified leads, the type of optin offer, the lead generation vehicle and the follow up auto-responder series will be very different to what you would run with if you are simply wanting to build a large list quickly.
- Know how much you can afford to spend to attract a new customer. Calculate the lifetime value of a customer eg. how much are they likely to spend with you over their customer lifetime (the number of years they stay with you).
- Use a lead magnet or optin offer to build your list (ebook, webinar, online course etc) that is a good match with your target audience, your type of business and with the objectives of your campaign. Different optin offers are better for different objectives and for different size lists.
- Have your email autoresponder series mapped out in advance and ensure that each email builds the relationship in a structured way incorporating the right mix of social proof, value-adding, story-telling, objection handling and selling.
- Test, monitor and measure different lead generation activities to determine the cost per sign up, the cost per sale and the value of each sale. Some cheap lead generation activities may appear to be cheap but they don’t convert into sales so at the end of the day they may turn out to be more expensive in the long run.
Kristina Mills is a highly regarded direct response copywriter, marketing strategist, entrepreneur and success strategist having worked with and produced great results for some of Australia's most inspirational entrepreneurs, speakers, event companies, professional services firms, property companies, and internet entrepreneurs. She is the author of Invisible Genius Vol1 and 2, Freelance Copywriting Fast Track Course, Direct Mail Mastery, Web Copy Mastery, Invisible Genius Vol.1 and 2, Mortgage Broker Letters that Sell, Real Estate Letters that Sell, How to Create a Sales Explosion With Every Ad and Letter Your Write. To find out more about how Kristina can help you live your potential, arrange a free 15 minute phone chat.